Aviation Press Releases
March 6, 2012
Sky Harbor Is Busy This Spring
Phoenix, AZ – March and April are some of the busiest travel times at Sky Harbor due to school breaks, local events and Spring Training. While no particular week is busiest through this period, Fridays and Sundays continue to be even busier due to spring travel. On many days, an estimated 150,000 passengers will travel through Sky Harbor, about 50% percent more than a typical day of 100,000.
If you are planning to park at the Airport now through March 27, Sky Harbor is offering a coupon for 40% off the terminal garage rate. Download the coupon from skyharbor.com and park in the terminal garage for just $15 per day, compared to the usual rate of $25. Upon exiting the parking garage, use one of the lanes with a parking attendant so they process the coupon. You may still pay with a credit card, but the Credit Card Only lanes have no attendant to process the coupon.
Travel Tips for Spring Break:
- Arrive at the Airport two hours before your flight departs, especially if you are parking in economy areas or checking bags.
- For updated information on parking lot and garage availability, visit skyharbor.com/FindASpot or call our 24-hour parking hotline at 602-273-4545. If you park in the Economy Parking lots, look for a sign and scan the QR Code with your smartphone to be sent a text or email reminder of where you parked.
- It is easy and convenient to take the train to the plane. Simply ride the METRO light rail to the 44th Street and Washington stop and connect with the free PHX Airport Shuttle which connects travelers to Airport terminals.
- Remove large electronics from your carry-on bags and place them in their own TSA bin.
- Liquids and gels must be in 3 oz containers or less for carry-on bags use a zip top bag to conveniently carry your items. Larger quantities of medically necessary liquids are allowed at the discretion of TSA screeners. Visit tsa.gov or contact TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov or 866-289-9673 for questions.
- Mark your bags and electronics clearly so you recognize them immediately. Have your claim check or ID ready at baggage claim when you return to Phoenix so that if you are approached by staff, you won’t be delayed looking for this information.
- Bring a snack or meal for the plane. Food may be carried through security and beverages may be purchased past security and brought onto the aircraft.
- Visit skyharbor.com on your smartphone or tablet to access our mobile website to find out what food and shops are near your gate as well as other Airport information.
- Wherever you go in the country, reserve your rental car in advance to ensure availability.
- Use the free cell phone lots to wait for arriving passengers and avoid circling the terminals.