Aviation Press Releases
December 17, 2012
Phoenix Sky Harbor Offers Early Bag Check, Holiday Parking Coupon & Travel Tips
Phoenix, AZ – Just in time for the holidays, Sky Harbor introduces Early Bag Check, now available for travelers flying Southwest Airlines or US Airways and parking at the East Economy lot. Travelers can check their bags before they park and board the PHX Airport Shuttle to the terminal. There is no additional cost for this service, though airline bag fees still apply. This service will also be available at the 44th Street and Washington PHX Sky Train™ station when it opens in early 2013.
A parking coupon is available for those planning to park in the Airport terminals. The coupon is valid for 40% off the terminal garage rate December 19 - January 7, 2013. The coupon, which can be downloaded and printed from skyharbor.com or shown on a mobile device, allows travelers to park in the terminal garage for just $15 per day, compared to the usual rate of $25. This means no waiting for buses – just drive to your terminal, park, and walk directly to the ticket counter or security checkpoint. Customers can stay past January 7, however, the discount is only valid December 19 - January 7, 2013. The coupon is not valid for the Terminal 2 Economy spaces.
The TSA encourages travelers not to wrap their gifts when passing through security, so Sky Harbor is once again offering free gift wrapping behind security in Terminal 4. Any donations collected will go to United Way. A variety of Airport shops are also offering holiday specials. Travelers can pick up gifts on their way out of town such as holiday tamales or other unique Arizona items.
- The Airport will be busy this holiday season. Be sure to arrive two hours before your flight departs, especially if you are parking in economy areas or checking bags. This also allows for possible traffic delays on your way to the airport.
- For updated information on parking availability, visit skyharbor.com/FindASpot on your desktop computer or visit skyharbor.com on a mobile device. Sky Harbor has a 24-hour parking hotline: 602-273-4545. If you park in Economy parking, look for a sign at the bus stop and scan the QR Code with your smartphone to be sent a reminder of where you parked.
- Liquids and gels must be in 3 oz containers or less, packed in a clear, zip-top bag to pass through security. Larger quantities of medically necessary liquids are allowed only at the discretion of TSA screeners. Food items such as pies and cakes are permitted, but may require further inspection. If travelers are not sure if a food item is considered a liquid or gel, it is best to pack the item in checked baggage or ship it to a destination in advance. For questions about security screening, visit tsa.gov or contact the TSA at: 866-289-9673 or TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov.
- Use the free cell phone lots (one located on the East side of the Airport and one located on the West side) to wait for arriving passengers and avoid circling the terminals.
- If you're picking up friends or family at Terminal 4, consider parking and meeting them at the new Starbucks in baggage claim.