Traveling for Spring Break? Check Out These Helpful Tips
Spring break is a time where many get away from it all with friends and family. They head to new locales to enjoy a little break from everyday life. Many travelers descend upon Arizona to enjoy beautiful weather, golf, spring training games and other outdoor pursuits. Because of this, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will be extremely busy throughout the month of March. Travelers should allow themselves enough time in order to get to their destinations. Here are some helpful travel tips:
- Make sure you have all of your travel documents in order and check to make sure that the name on your travel documents matches the name on your ID.
- Check your flight status before coming to the Airport.
- Planning to park at the Airport? Click here to use our interactive parking tool to find the best place to park and number of spaces available. Or, speak to a person about parking and availability and get directions by calling our 24-hour parking hotline at (602) 273-4545.
- Flying domestically? Plan on arriving at least two hours prior to flight departure. Flying internationally? Plan on arriving at least three hours prior.
- If you are traveling between Thursday, March 10 and Thursday, March 17, be aware that airlines will be very busy due to spring break and spring training. Especially on Sunday, March 13, add an extra hour to your usual travel time.
- Be aware of the TSA’s regulations for what you can and cannot carry-on as well as the procedure for going through the security checkpoint. Click here for more information.
- You may want to consider bringing food on-board the plane if you have a long flight. The Airport offers a variety of options on both sides of security for your enjoyment.
- Have questions while at the Airport? Visit an Information Counter or look for our friendly volunteer Navigators in purple jackets.
Renting a car? Because the Phoenix area will be busy, make sure that you make your reservations in advance for best price and selection. Click here to visit our Rental Car Center page.
If you prefer to public transportation, ride METRO Light Rail to and from the Airport. Catch the free black and silver bus between the Airport and the 44th Street and Washington METRO light rail station. You can take METRO light rail between Sky Harbor and downtown Phoenix, Tempe or Mesa. ASU student travelers can ride METRO light rail from campus to Sky Harbor. It’s easy and inexpensive. To find out more, click here.
For other travel tips, click here.
Whether you are visiting Phoenix or a resident traveling through, America’s Friendliest Airport® would like to wish you a happy travel experience.
First posted: 3/1/2011